The Recycle-Bowl competition has three division categories allowing schools to compete where they fit best.
- School Division (Statewide Competitions and National Title). Compete in this division if your school will be tracking only the recyclable materials it generates from within the school. The school may not solicit materials from the general public, home, businesses, groups, or organizations. Each state and the District of Columbia will have one winning school based on the weight of recyclable material collected per capita (students + teachers). This category only includes recyclables generated by the school. Only schools that report official weights (defined under the Tracking and Reporting section) are eligible to win the title.
- Community Division (National competition only). Compete in this category if your school collects recyclable material not only from the school but from individuals, groups and organizations in its surrounding community, and may solicit and accept recyclable donations from parent’s homes or businesses, individuals, groups and organizations. These schools will track the weight of their recyclables and divide it by the number of students and teachers (defined under the Tracking and Reporting section) to compete nationally against other similarly categorized schools (rather than in the state champion category) that are eligible to win the title.
- District Division (National competition only). Whole school districts that are unable to break out recycling data for each individual school can compete nationally against other school districts. Each district will track the weight of its recyclables and divide it by the total number of students, teachers and administrators. This category only includes recyclables generated by the district. Only districts that report official weights (defined under theTracking and Reporting section) are eligible to win the title and compete against other similarly categorized districts.
ADDITIONAL COMPETITIVE CATEGORIES
The Bragging Rights Division has two categories:
- Waste Reduction Champion (National Title). For those schools that are able to track and report both the amount of recyclables collected at the school and the amount of trash collected (along with their per capita (students + teachers), we can calculate a waste reduction rate. This category does not include food scraps. One national winner will be chosen from this category for bragging rights. Cash prizes will NOT be given.
- Food Scrap Collection Champion (National Title). Schools that are able to track and report the amount of food scraps being diverted from disposal, along with their per capita (students + teachers) can compete in this category. One national winner will be chosen from this category for bragging rights. Cash prizes will NOT be given.
- Rethink Recycling (National Title). Individuals can submit creative posters to be used as promotion and outreach for the 2019 Recycle Bowl Competition. More information can be found here.
2018 Rethink Recycling, What Does Recycling Mean to Me? POSTER CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES
2018 Rethink Recycling, What Does Recycling Mean to Me? POSTER CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES
PROMOTION: The “What Does Recycling Mean to Me?” Poster Contest (the “Contest”) is designed to encourage eligible U.S. school students and their parents/guardians on their behalf (“Entrant(s)” or “You”) to use their creativity to create posters to be used as promotion and outreach material for the 2019 Recycle Bowl Competition. Judges will choose the winning entry in accordance with these Official Rules (these “Rules”).
SPONSOR: The Contest is sponsored by Keep America Beautiful, Inc. (“KAB” or “Sponsor”), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation whose principal place of business is 1010 Washington Blvd., Stamford, CT 06901.
BINDING AGREEMENT: In order to enter the Contest, you must agree to the Rules. Therefore, please read these Rules prior to entry to ensure you understand and agree. You agree that submission of an entry in the Contest constitutes agreement to these Rules. You may not submit an entry to the Contest and are not eligible to receive the prize described in these rules unless you agree to these Rules. These Rules form a binding legal agreement between you and KAB with respect to the Contest.
ELIGBILITY: To be eligible to enter the Contest, an Entrant must: (a) be a U.S. citizen or a permanent legal U.S. resident; and (b) be enrolled in a private or public elementary or secondary school (grades K-12) in the United States or the District of Columbia that is participating in the 2018 Recycle Bowl in the School, Community or District Division; and (c) have obtained a parent’s or legal guardian’s prior permission. Minors who enter must have the written consent of a parent or legal guardian in order to be eligible to receive the prize described in Section 10 of these Rules. Directors, officers, employees, and affiliates of KAB, and advertising and promotion agencies, prize suppliers, representatives, and agents (“Contest Entities”), and members of the Contest Entities’ and their immediate families (parents, siblings, spouses, and life partners of each, regardless of where they live) and members of the households (whether related or not) of such employees, officers, and directors are ineligible to participate in this Contest.
CONTEST PERIOD: The Contest begins on Monday, October 15, 2018 at 12:00 a.m. Eastern Standard Time (“EST”) and ends on November 15, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. EST (“Contest Period”). All dates are subject to change. Posters must be sent via email and must be received by 11:59 p.m. EST on November 15, 2018 in order to have been submitted within the Contest Period.
HOW TO ENTER: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. To enter the Contest, visit the Contest website located at recycle.bowl.org during the Contest Period and follow the instructions that appear on the “participate and competition divisions” tab.
- Entry Form: You will be requested to download a one-page official entry form (“Entry Form”) and submit with: (a) a poster, which can be either computer generated or hand drawn, painted, colored, etc., on an 8.5”X11” piece of paper, that reflects Entrant’s creative interpretation of “what recycling means to me” (“Poster”); and (b) all information requested on the Entry Form, including parent/guardian’s consent.
- Poster Requirements: The Poster must meet the Poster Requirements, described below.
- Submission: Entry Forms and Posters can only be submitted by parents, guardians, teachers, non-profit leaders, and afterschool programs on behalf of Entrants. Once the Entry Form is fully completed, it should be printed on a light colored 8.5”x11” sheet of paper and signed by a parent/legal guardian. The completed Entry Form and Poster should be submitted as PDF files by email to Katie Joblon at Kjoblon@kab.org.
- Disqualification: Entries received without a completed Entry Form or without a parent’s or legal guardian’s signature will be disqualified. LIMIT ONE (1) ENTRY PER ENTRANT. Subsequent entries will be disqualified. Machine or computer-generated mass entries will be disqualified. KAB accepts no responsibility for submissions lost, delayed, damaged, defaced or mislaid, however caused. Proof of mailing does not constitute proof of entry. All entities will be deemed made by the Entrant submitted at the time of entry.
POSTER REQUIREMENTS: During the Contest Period, the Sponsor, its agents and/or the Judges will be evaluating the Posters to ensure they meet the Poster Requirements. The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any Entrant who submits a Poster that does not meet the Poster Requirements. Incomplete entries or entries not complying with these Rules are subject to disqualification. Each Poster must meet the following criteria (“Poster Requirements”):
- It must not be derogatory, offensive, threatening, defamatory, disparaging, libelous or contain any content that is inappropriate, indecent, sexual, profane, tortuous, slanderous, discriminatory in any way, or that promotes hatred or harm against any group or person, or otherwise does not comply with the theme and spirit of the Contest.
- It must not contain content, material or any element that is unlawful, or otherwise in violation of or contrary to all applicable federal, state, or local laws and regulation including the laws or regulations in any state where the Poster are created.
- It must not contain any content, material or element that displays any third party advertising, slogan, logo, trademark, representation of characters indicating a sponsorship or endorsement by a third party, commercial entity or that is not within the spirit of the Contest, as determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion.
- It must be original, unpublished works that does not contain, incorporate or otherwise use any content, material or element that is owned by a third party or entity.
- It cannot contain any content, element, or material that violates a third party’s publicity, privacy or intellectual property rights.
- The Poster is not the subject of any actual or threatened litigation or claim.
- The Entrant does not include any disparaging remarks relating to the Sponsor or a third party.
- The submitted Poster is two-dimensional and scannable (e.g., no videos or GIFs)
JUDGING: Each Poster will be evaluated and scored based on the following “Criteria”: (a) artistic skill/merit; (b) originality of idea; (c) compelling message; and (d) adherence to the Poster Requirements and these Rules. Decisions of the judges are final and binding. In the event there are not enough eligible entries, the prize will not be awarded. If a potential winner is unable for whatever reason to accept their prize, then KAB reserves the right to award the prize to another entrant. Submissions will be divided into three groups for judging: (a) Grades K-5; (b) Grades 6-8; and (c) Grades 9-12. One submission from each group will be selected as a Finalist. Finalists will be notified on or before January 2019 by telephone or email. The judges will evaluate each Finalist’s submission based on the above criteria and will select one (1) National Winner. The National Winner will be notified on or before March 2019. In the event of a tie at any level of judging, the judges will re-evaluate the submissions according to the criteria above until the tie is broken. The tied posters will be put up for a re-vote amongst the judges at the respective level until the tie is broken.
NOTIFICATION OF FINALISTS/WINNERS: Becoming a Finalist is subject to validation and verification of eligibility and compliance with all the terms and conditions set forth in these Rules. If a potential Finalist or National Winner is disqualified for any reason, the Poster that received the next highest total score will be chosen as the potential Finalist or National Winner. The potential Finalist(s) and National Winner will be selected and notified by telephone and/or email, at Sponsor’s discretion. If a potential Finalist/National Winner does not respond to the notification attempt within three (3) days from the first notification attempt, then such potential Finalist/National Winner may be disqualified and an alternate potential Finalist/National Winner will be selected from among all eligible entries received based on the judging Criteria described herein. With respect to notification by telephone, such notification will be deemed given when the potential Finalist/National Winner or potential Finalist/National Winner’s parent or guardian engages in a live conversation with Sponsor or when a message is left on the potential Finalist/National Winner’s voicemail service or answering machine by the Sponsor, whichever occurs first. Except where prohibited by law, each potential Finalist/National Winner may be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability and Publicity Release and provide any additional information that may be required by Sponsor. If required, potential Finalists/National Winners must return all such required documents via email (or as otherwise instructed) within forty-eight (48) hours or such potential Finalist/National Winner will be deemed to have forfeited the prize and another potential Finalist/National Winner may be selected based on the judging Criteria described herein. The potential Finalist/National Winner should keep a hard copy of their final artwork. The winner may be required to mail in the original artwork for high resolution scanning. If the potential Finalists/National Winner is unable to provide the original artwork within seven (7) days, the potential Finalists/National Winners will be deemed to have forfeited the prize and another potential Finalist/National Winner may be selected. In the event the potential Finalist/National Winner is a minor, their parent or legal guardian must sign the documents and return them as described herein. All notification requirements, as well as other requirements within these Rules, will be strictly enforced. Determinations of Judges are final and binding. All potential Finalists and the eventual National Winner, including their parent representatives, agree to keep the Poster strictly confidential between submission and the Poster’s final use promoting the 2019 Recycle Bowl.
PRIZE: The National Winner’s Poster will be used to promote Keep America Beautiful, Inc.’s 2019 Recycle Bowl.
GENERAL CONDITIONS: All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. KAB reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant from the Contest if, in KAB’s sole discretion, it reasonably believes that the Entrant has attempted to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, deception, or other unfair playing practices or annoys, abuses, threatens or harasses any other entrants, KAB, or the Judges.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS: As between KAB and the Entrant, the Entrant retains ownership of all intellectual and industrial property rights (including moral rights) in and to the Poster (excluding KAB’s rights in the KAB logo/trademark, if included in the Poster). As a condition of entry, Entrant grants KAB a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, transferable, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, adapt modify, publish, distribute, publicly perform, create a derivative work from, and publicly display on the KAB website and in any other medium, without any attribution or compensation to Entrant. Entries will not be returned. Entry into this Contest will in no case serve to transfer any KAB intellectual property rights to the Entrant.
PRIVACY: Entrants agree and acknowledge that personal data submitted with an entry, including name, mailing address, phone number, and email address may be collected, processed, stored and otherwise used by KAB for the purposes of conducting and administering the Contest. All personal information that is collected from parents, guardians, teachers, non-profit leaders, and after-school programs on behalf of Entrants is subject to KAB’s will only be used to administer this contest and not in any other way. Individuals submitting personal information in connection with the Contest have the right to request access, review, rectification or deletion of any personal data held by KAB in connection with the Contest by writing to KAB at the following address: 1010 Washington Blvd. Stamford CT 06901
PUBLICITY: By entering the Contest, Entrants agree to participate in any media or promotional activity resulting from the Contest as reasonably requested by KAB at KAB’s expense and agree and consent to use of their name and/or likeness by KAB. The Posters may also be used for press and media purposes and Entrant agrees to waive any rights and not assert any intellectual property rights that Entrant has or may have in the Poster. KAB reserves the right to publish the name and likeness of the Entrants with the top 10 scores, the Finalists and the Winner on the Contest Site or through other media for publicity purposes.
WARRANTY: Entrants warrant that their Posters are their own original work and, as such, they are the sole and exclusive owner and rights holder of the submitted Poster and that they have the right to submit the Poster in the Contest and grant all required licenses. Each Entrant agrees not to submit any Poster that: (a) infringes any third party proprietary rights, intellectual property rights, industrial property rights, personal or moral rights or any other rights, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, trade names, industrial designs, patent, trade secret, privacy, publicity or confidentiality obligations; or (b) otherwise violates applicable state, federal or local law.
INDEMNITY: To the maximum extent permitted by law, Entrant indemnifies and agrees to keep indemnified Sponsor at all times from and against any liability, claims, demands, losses, damages, costs and expenses resulting from any act, default or omission of the Entrant and/or a breach of any warranty set forth herein. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Entrant agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor from and against any and all claims, actions, suits or proceedings, as well as any and all losses, liabilities, damages, costs and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) arising out of or accruing from: (a) any Poster or material provided by Entrant that infringes any copyright, trademark, trade secret, trade dress, patent or other intellectual property right of any person or defames any person or violates their rights of publicity or privacy; (b) any misrepresentation made by Entrant in connection with the Contest; (c) any non-compliance by Entrant with these Rules; (d) claims brought by persons or entities other than the parties to these Rules arising from or related to Entrant’s involvement with the Contest; (e) acceptance, possession, misuse or use of any prize or participation in any Contest-Related activity or participation in the Contest; (f) any malfunction or other problem with the Contest Site in relation to the entry and participation in the Contest by Entrant; (g) any error in the collection, processing, or retention of entry information in relation to the entry and participation in the Contest by Entrant; or (h) any typographical or other error in the printing, offering or announcement of any prize or winners in relation to the entry and participation in the Contest by Entrant.
ELIMINATION: Any false information provided within the context of the Contest by Entrant concerning identity, mailing address, telephone number, email address, ownership of right or non-compliance with these Rules or the like may result in the immediate elimination of the Entrant from the Contest.
INTERNET AND DISCLAIMER: KAB is not responsible for any malfunction of the entire Contest Site or any late, lost, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, illegible, undeliverable, or destroyed Posters due to system errors, failed, incomplete or garbled computer or other telecommunication transmission malfunctions, hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, typographical or system/human errors and failures, technical malfunction(s) of any telephone network or lines, cable connections, satellite transmissions, servers or providers, or computer equipment, traffic congestion on the Internet or at the Contest Site, or any combination thereof, including other telecommunication, cable digital, or satellite malfunctions with may limit Entrant’s/consumer’s ability to participate respectively. KAB is not responsible for the policies, actions, or inactions of others, which might prevent Entrant from entering, participating, and/or claiming a prize in this Contest. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Rules will not constitute a waiver of that or any other provision. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify Entrants who violate the rules or interfere with this Contest in any manner. If an Entrant is disqualified, Sponsor reserves the right to terminate that Entrant’s eligibility to participate in the Contest.
RIGHT OT CANCEL, MODIFY OR DISQUALIFY: If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest, KAB reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. KAB further reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant who tampers with the submission process or any other part of the Contest or Contest Site. Any attempt by Entrant to deliberately damage any website, including the Contest Site, or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, KAB reserves the right to seek damages from any such Entrant to the fullest extent of the applicable law.
NOT AN OFFER OR CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT: Under no circumstances shall the submission of a Poster into the Contest, the awarding of a prize, or anything in these Rules be construed as an offer or contract of employment with either KAB, or the Contest Entities. Entrants acknowledge that they submitted their Poster voluntarily and not in confidence or in trust. Entrants acknowledge that no confidential, fiduciary, agency or other relationship or implied-in-fact contract now exists between Entrant and KAB or the Contest Entities and that no such relationship is established by Entrant’s submission of a Poster under these Rules.
FORUM AND RECOURSE TO JUDICIAL PROCEDURES: These Rules shall be governed by, subject to, and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Connecticut, United States of America, excluding any conflict of law rules. If any provision(s) of these Rules are held to be invalid or unenforceable, all remaining provisions hereof will remain in full force and effect. To the extent permitted by law, the rights to litigate, seek injunctive relief and make any other recourse to judicial or any other procedure in case of disputes or claims resulting from or in connection with this Contest are hereby excluded, and Entrants expressly waive any and all such rights.
ARBITRATION: By entering the Contest, you agree that exclusive jurisdiction for any dispute, claim, or demand related in any way to the Contest will be decided by binding arbitration. All disputes between you and KAB of whatsoever kind or nature arising out of these Rules, shall be submitted to Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services, Inc. (“JAMS”) for binding arbitration under its rules then in effect in the area before one arbitrator to be mutually agreed upon by both parties. The parties agree to share equally in the arbitration costs incurred.
WINNER’S LIST: Winner List requests will only be accepted after the end of the Contest Period and no later than April 15, 2019. For the Winner List, email KJoblon@KAB.ORG.
The Open Division is less formal and can accommodate schools that register late, don’t want to compete for a prize, home schools or are located in a U.S. territory, Canada or Mexico.
Open Division schools are not bound by the tracking and reporting standards. Open Division schools otherwise enjoy all the rights and have access to all promotional resources available from Recycle-Bowl’s website.
Though Open Division schools do not have their results included in the official rankings, they do have the ability to view their final weights in relation to other schools and classrooms. Open Division schools are encouraged to promote their Recycle-Bowl achievements to their local communities in general terms, but may not claim an official standing in the competition.