Keep America Beautiful Tips for a Sustainable Holiday Season
Make a difference this holiday season by taking small steps that can make a meaningful difference by reducing waste and your carbon footprint. And since it’s the season of giving, share these eco-friendly tips with family and friends!
- Reuse newspaper and paper bags in place of wrapping paper for gifts. Don’t forget to recycle the paper afterward – just remove the tape.
- Another creative idea for wrapping: use gently-used scarves, handkerchiefs or tea towels for difffiutlt-to-wrap items. You can also package edible gifts using glass bottles or reusable tins.
- When entertaining, cut down on excess waste and use real dishware and cutlery instead of disposable plastic, foam, or paper plates and utensils.
- Also use cloth tablecloths and napkins instead of paper options.
- Bring reusable bags when you go shopping – not just at the grocery store but at every store!
- Buy products made with recycled content to help "close the loop" and support the recycling industry.
- Make natural decorations. Instead of using plastic décor, find things in nature, including pine cones and evergreen branches.
- Buy a live, potted Christmas tree to decorate -- then plant it in your backyard (if you have one!) after the holiday.
- If you do cut down a tree, be sure to recycle it after the holiday. Click here to check locally.
- Consider sending e-cards, make your own, or buy cards made with recycled content.
- Make recycling easy for guests. Place recycling bins beside every trash bin, and make sure the products you provide can be reused or recycled.
- Check locally to recycle your old or burned out holiday string lights.
- Reduce your carbon emissions by coordinating carpools with family and friends to holiday get togethers.
Instead of struggling to find the perfect gift, donate to a charity you admire (like us at Keep America Beautiful!) in a friend or family member’s name. You can also give the gift of a unique experience rather than a tangible gift!