The Great American Cleanup aims to address and fulfill local needs through a combination of the following actions:
Keep America Beautiful's Great American Cleanup engages more than 3 million volunteers and participants whose work returns, on average, more than $175 million in measurable benefits across more than 20,000 participating communities.
Keep America Beautiful believes that people and places are profoundly interconnected. Whether you live in a big city, a suburb or a small rural town, the Great American Cleanup is a shining example of how lasting, positive change happens when people work together.
Through programs like the Great American Cleanup, Keep America Beautiful transforms public places into beautiful spaces helping to make communities that are environmentally healthy, socially connected and economically sound. They’re better places to raise a family, start a business, or go to school. They’re better places for living our lives.
During the Great American Cleanup, Keep America Beautiful affiliates, partner organizations, corporate partners and millions of volunteers:
- Remove litter and debris from roadsides, highways, shorelines and waterways for safer, cleaner communities;
- Plant trees, flowers and gardens to strengthen our community’s green infrastructure;
- Clean and restore nature trails, recreation areas and playgrounds to encourage play and physical activity;
- Recycle aluminum cans, plastic bottles, electronics, paper products, tires, clothing and even junk cars to give garbage another life;
- Rebuild public spaces in communities struck by natural disasters to renew social connections; and
- Restore urban, suburban and rural business districts and thoroughfares to spur economic impact.
The Great American Cleanup, Keep America Beautiful’s signature national program, lets anyone participate in creating a country in which every community is a clean, green, and beautiful place to live.